Losing weight is one of the most common New Year’s resolutions after enjoying tasty holiday treats. If you’re pledging to lose pounds this year by joining a gym, Better Business Bureau of Southern Arizona recommends asking some questions before signing on the dotted line.
Each January, millions of thousands crowd into gyms armed with willpower and personal goals looking towards a healthier, active lifestyle. While it’s exciting to gear up towards a goal, consumers should treat this like any major purchases. BBB received over 7,000 complaints about health clubs across North America last year.
“Working out and getting healthy are fantastic goals regardless of the time of year,” said Kim States, BBB President. “But consumers who ask the right questions can expect success inside and outside the workout room.”
Five questions to ask the gym:
- What are the terms of any introductory offers? Gyms often use special introductory offers to lure in new members. Make sure you understand the terms and what price the service will be once the introductory period is over.
- Will my membership renew automatically? Many times people join a gym, but don’t consider what happens when the original contract runs out. Some gym contracts renew automatically unless they are cancel.
- How can I get out of my contract? Getting out of any contract isn’t always as easy as getting into one. Make sure you understand what steps are necessary to cancel your contract.
- What happens if I move? Gyms have any number of policies for what happens if you move. It might depend on how far away you’re moving and if they have affiliate gyms you could attend.
- What happens if they go out of business? Ask the gym to explain what will happen to your (more…)