Warmer temperatures and rainy weather are bringing out various insects you probably don‘t want in your home.In the spring and summer months, Better Business Bureau of Southern Arizona generally sees an increase in consumer inquiries for pest control companies.
Nationally, BBB received more than 4,100 complaints regarding pest control services in 2012. Most alleged work not being completed according to signed contracts and inflexibility in scheduling when warranty issues arose.
When the job gets too big for home remedies, keep the following tips in mind before hiring a pest control service:
- Research the company. Check any pest control company’s BBB Business Review at bbb.org before signing a contract. Look at the company’s rating, how it has responded to customer complaints and any advertising issues it may have.
- Compare prices. Solicit bids from at least three different pest control companies before making a decision.
- Ask about safety. Because pesticides and pest control products could be dangerous to touch or inhale, be sure to ask the company about the safety of the chemicals they use. Let the company know if you have pets, children or sensitive plants as that may impact the products they select for your home.
- Check for licensing and insurance. Make sure the company meets state licensing requirements. Also, be sure to ask for proof of the company’s insurance and coverage for any potential property damage or personal liability.
- Carefully review your contract. Be sure you fully understand the nature of the pest to be exterminated, the extent of the infestation, and the work necessary to solve the problem.