Bear Down…and Blog!
Current and former University of Arizona athletes are always making news and not always in traditional mediums. We scoured the Internet and found Wildcats online by visiting these lynx
TIGER WOODS, FURYK BOUNCED FROM ACCENTURE MATCH PLAY CHAMPIONSHIP
A former University of Arizona golfer will not win this year’s World Golf Championship-Accenture Match Play Championship held in the backyard of their old stomping grounds.
Nor will any past PGA Tour ‘Player of the Year’ winners – of which ex-Wildcat Jim Furyk is both.
Furyk (2010 PGA POTY), Tiger Woods (2009 and eight other times) and Padraig Harrington (2008) were all eliminated in first round action on Wednesday in Marana, Ariz.-tournament that pits the top 64 World Golf money earners against one another in a March Madness-style tourney.
Furyk, the No. 10 seed, lost his opening round match to Ryan Palmer (2 up). Woods, No. 3, saw his comeback fall short in an extra hole to No. 62 Thomas Bjorn. Harrington, No. 30, lost to former Match Play champ Geoff Ogilvy.
The former Wildcats’ PGA Player of the Year title defense has gotten off to a sluggish start. Furyk has made the cut in only two of the four tournaments he’s played in, and finished in the top-25 once.
While the top 64 World Golf money earners square off in the outskirts of Tucson, the balance of the PGA Tour is basking in the Mexican sun and sand traps at the Mayakoba Golf Classic at Riviera Maya-Cancun. That includes former Wildcats Robert Gamez, Ted Purdy and Rory Sabbatini.
“Sticks are finally thawing out for Cancun. I’m ready for some golf.”
- University of Arizona sports hall of famer Ted Purdy, via Twitter
“business project number 2…. complete. aye nothing but basketball on my mind this week/weekend now!”
- That’s good news for Arizona forward Derrick Williams and bad news for Southern California and UCLA, the Wildcats’ opponents this week
“Today my brother Austin would be 5 years old. Love n’ miss my lil angel. Happy Bday bro”
- Arizona guard Brendon Lavender reminding us all that life isn’t always about sports
“life is so good right now. Ball is great. Got the best girlfriend in the world and az is back to where it was. Just wish my bro was here 2c”
- Lavender’s teammate Kevin Parrom doing the same
“Not going to Lie, feels good to have the spikes back on!!”
- Former Wildcat golfer Ricky Barnes, who’s played in two PGA events so far this season
“The car next to meat sonic is stuck”
- Arizona wide receiver Dan Buckner, accidentally splicing two words together with an appropriate Freudian slip
“Just left foot locker northpark mall its official the REEBOK JET SHARK shoe is on the runway only 24 pair available”
- Better get your pair of the new Jason Terry (AKA the ‘Jet’) sneakers before someone else takes off with them
“Please teach your children water safety and if you don’t know how to swim it’s never too late to learn!!!”
- When a former Wildcat swim star and Olympic medalist such as Amanda Beard gives you swimming advice, you’d best listen