Email alert from Literacy Volunteers of Tucson:
“Governor Jan Brewer has recommended complete elimination of state adult education funding effective retroactively to January 1, 2010. Her proposal will effectively end all future adult education state programs in Arizona.
State-funded adult education programs serve thousands of students each year who are trying to improve their skills, learn English, and earn GED diplomas. Eliminating adult education would terminate all adult education classes and GED testing in Arizona.
Facts to Know and Share:
* 795,970 adults in AZ are without a high school credential, which makes it nearly impossible to get a job or go on to further training.
* 18% of all high school diplomas issued in AZ in 2008 were GED diplomas–nearly 1/5 of Arizona’s high school graduates!
* GED instruction and testing costs an average of only $186 per student
* GED graduates earn $5,000 more per year on average, resulting in approximately $70 million additional tax dollars
* The economic impact of NOT educating the 800,000 Arizonans who do not have a high school diploma is enormous! 80% of adult education students are under 45–the backbone of Arizona’s workforce!!!
* AZ has one of the highest drop out rates in the nation. With the elimination of GED testing, AZ would likely be the only state in the country without this service.
* SPREAD THE WORD!! TODAY! Tell everyone you know about what’s happening.
* Call the following legislators and express your support of full funding for adult education!
— STATE HOUSE
+ Vic Williams (District 26, R) email@example.com, 602-926-5839, Appropriations Committee
+ John Kavanagh (District 8, R) firstname.lastname@example.org, 602-926-5170, Appropriations Chairman
+ David Gowan (District 30, R) email@example.com, 602-926-3312
+ Frank Antenori (District 30, R) firstname.lastname@example.org, 602-926-5683
— STATE SENATE
+ Al Melvin (District 26, R) email@example.com, 602-926-4326, Appropriations Vice-Chair
+ Jonathon Paton (District 30, R) firstname.lastname@example.org, 602-926-3235
* Call your friends in Phoenix and Tucson. Ask them to contact their legislators about this.
* Call or write to Governor Brewer 1(800) 253-0883, or click here to contact her via her website
Can we afford NOT to invest in our state and our workforce? This is crucial for Arizona. It affects everyone.”
Note: I just called the Governor’s office toll free and you can do it anonymously as well. Those of us who are literate usually take for granted how easy and enjoyable it is to read. Literacy is fundamental to getting a good job and advancing economically in America.