1st ANNUAL RALLY FOR LITERACY on October 1! Fun for the entire community!
Saturday, October 1
9:00am – 11:00am
Jácome Plaza at the Joel D. Valdez Main Library
Downtown Tucson, 101 N. Stone Avenue – Near the corner of Church Ave./Alameda
Free parking in the library garage (underground) or on the street.
In July, five powerful literacy organizations — the Literacy for Life Coalition, Literacy Volunteers of Tucson, Reach Out and Read Southern Arizona, Reading Seed, and Stories That Soar! — took a bold step and merged to become one strong organization that will empower people to create a culture of literacy and creative expression throughout our community.
Literacy is the foundation upon which the success of individuals, our economy and our community is built. Improving literacy improves all of our lives. Our new literacy organization is an innovator and the go-to resource that supports and connects the agencies and organizations promoting literacy in Southern Arizona. Celebrate with us as we unveil our new name and logo at the rally!
Because of your passion for literacy, we are able to do more together and serve thousands in our community from birth through adulthood. Let’s write the next chapter of our successful story as we officially launch our literacy movement at this fun, family-friendly rally!
- The unveiling of the new name of our organization
- Performances by Stories That Soar!
- An interactive, all-ages Community Rhythm Jam with Kenya Masala
- A presentation by the Tucson Festival of Books
- Book exchange
- Children’s activities
Show your support at the rally:
1. Participate – Put a group together from your neighborhood, organization, or business
2. Show our unity – Wear a plain, white t-shirt to demonstrate our collective unity around literacy
3. Tell us what literacy means to you – Create and bring posters or make your own at the rally
4. Bring a book to exchange – Take a book to read
5. Find out more information – Share it with others
You’re also invited to their Pre-Rally Poster-Making Party on Thursday, September 29th, 5:30pm – 7:00pm, at Literacy Volunteers of Tucson, 2850 E. Speedway Blvd., where you can make your own poster to bring to the rally! (Poster supplies and refreshments provided.)
Click here for website: Tucsonliteracymovement.org