In commemoration of Arizona’s 100th birthday coming up on February 14, 2012, AAA of Arizona has a feature article on “Local Legends” – 8 famous Arizonans we’re proud to call our own.”
Instead of telling you who they are I will be providing some clues, for you to decipher. Or you can skip down to the bottom of this blog for the answers.
1. Mid Western architect who moved to Scottsdale and founded an architecture school
2. Former Arizona Cardinals football player who was killed by friendly fire in Afghanistan
3. Female singer with rock group Fleetwood Mac
4. Newspaper columnist & humorist of “At Wit’s End”
5. Phoenix Suns basketball player from 1992 to 1996
6. Architect/Creator of Arcosanti, and the concept of arcology, “the harmonious marriage of architecture with ecology”
7. First woman appointed to U.S. Supreme Court (and sister to a Pima County Supervisor)
8. Five term U.S. Senator and unsuccessful nominee for U.S. President (deceased, so the answer is not John McCain)
You can read the article in the January/February 2012 issue of “Highroads” (pages 30-33) with photos of these famous persons. Or online by clicking here: http://www.aaaaz.com/highroads/?zip=85706&stateprov=az&city=tucson&devicecd=PC
1. Frank Lloyd Wright
2. Pat Tillman
3. Stevie Nicks
4. Erma Bombeck
5. Charles Barkley
6. Paolo Soleri
7. Justice Sandra Day O’Connor (sister of retiring Supervisor Ann Day)
8. U.S. Senator Barry Goldwater
How many did you get correct? And have any of you personally met any of these Arizona local legends?
I’ve only visited Wright’s beautiful home Taliesen West in Scottsdale (and his amazing creation “Fallingwater” house in Pennsylvania), met Supervisor Ann Day (but not the former Justice), and have heard Barry Goldwater Jr. speak of his father at the Festival of Books in his book “Pure Goldwater”(co-authored with John Dean).