A five mile loop in central Tucson will be blocked off Sunday, April 18 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for a first-time “walking, cycling and healthy street activities” event entitled Cyclovia (pronounced see-clo-via) Tucson. People are encouraged to walk, jog, skate, bicycle — all in non-motorized fashion along this route and participate in various family fun activities along the way. What a great way to safely enjoy leisure time and recreation, walk your dog, get your kids on their bikes or skates, all for more physical activity. Refer to website: cycloviatucson.org.
Cyclovia is a Spanish word meaning “temporary closure of a network of streets to cars, and open the streets to the people who bike, walk, skate and participate in fun, free activities.”
“One of the first and largest cyclovias in the world is held in Bogotá, Columbia. Every Sunday and holiday, every week of the year, the city closes down over 70 miles of roadways to cars and let people bike, walk, talk, exercise, picnic, sunbathe, etc.”
See map below for the Tucson route from E. Seneca Street (at 4th Avenue), south to Mountain Ave & then Highland Ave. to the UA Mall (University Blvd.) then west back to 4th Avenue, and either north and south along that avenue.
The Greater Arizona Bicycling Association (GABA) Bike Swap (see www.bikegaba.org) will be ongoing at the same day on 4th Avenue (6 a.m. to 1 p.m.), which is a fantastic place to find bicycle parts, equipment, clothing, etc.
The activities along this 5 mile loop (which correspond with the map below):
1. YMCA Healthy Kids Day at Mansfield Park, 2000 North 4th Avenue
2. Tucson-Pima Bicycle Advisory Committee at Catalina Park, Along 4th Avenue between 1st and 2nd Street
3. Main Gate Square – University of Arizona, Along University Boulevard between 4th Avenue and Park Avenue
4. University of Arizona Mall- Along University Boulevard on the U of A campus east of Park Avenue (this area is already blocked off from cars on weekdays from Cherry Ave. to west of Old Main).
5. Bike Swap Meet, Along 4th Avenue between 9th Street and 6th Street
6. Tucson Bike Beautiful
7. Starr Skates’ Pop-Up Skate Park
Leave your motorized vehicles at home, get your family & friends together and walk/jog/skate/bike over to Cyclovia Tucson!