Thunder On The Left: Let’s Occupy Wall Streetby Art Jacobson on Aug. 07, 2011, under 2011 Organization, Occupy Wall Street, Politics, Unions, Working Poor
Michael Moore, in his recent post about the Republican attack on the air traffic controllers union thirty years ago, finishes with the suggestion that internet petitions and tweets are not going to fight the continuing attacks on the poor by an increasingly corporatist state.
Have we all just given up? What are we waiting for? Forget about the 20% who support the Tea Party — we are the other 80%! This decline will only end when we demand it. And not through an online petition or a tweet. We are going to have to turn the TV and the computer and the video games off and get out in the streets (like they’ve done in Wisconsin). Some of you need to run for local office next year. We need to demand that the Democrats either get a spine and stop taking corporate money — or step aside.
Italics mine. Get out in the streets. Are we finally angry enough for massed civil disobedience, general strikes, and non-violent occupation of corporations that either don’t pay their taxes, or are significantly under-taxed?
I don’t really know, but the impulse to such actions seems to be growing. If you’re interested in taking direct action Moore suggests you look at two groups.
The first of these is the October 2011 organization, which is calling for a mass gathering October 6th in Washington DC’s Freedom Plaza.
A Call to Action – Oct. 6, 2011 and onward
October 2011 is the 10th anniversary of the invasion of Afghanistan and the beginning of the 2012 federal austerity budget. It is time to light the spark that sets off a true democratic, nonviolent transition to a world in which people are freed to create just and sustainable solutions.
We call on people of conscience and courage—all who seek peace, economic justice, human rights and a healthy environment—to join together in Washington, D.C., beginning on Oct. 6, 2011, in nonviolent resistance similar to the Arab Spring and the Midwest awakening.
The details are available on the website October2011.org.
Another of Moore’s suggestions is that you might want to look in on a move to occupy Wall Street. This strikes me as a rather more quixotic undertaking, more like conceptual art, than realizable street protest. Nevertheless the idea of trying to get 20,000 people to set up a mass camp with tents and kitchens in Wall Street tickles me.
Even if this is no more than a satyrical send-up the very threat would shiver the conservative peace of mind. (Their capacity for believing in spooks and goblins is almost unlimited.)
Related Post: Tucson Progressive, “Poverty, unemployment, unions, the ‘beast’ … and you.”