Westboro Baptist Church—the Phelps Family—Will be at the Reason Rallyby Don Lacey on Mar. 15, 2012, under Art & Culture, Atheism, Biblical Inerrancy, Christian Self-Righteous Arrogance, Christianity, Critical Thinking, Education, Ethics, Faith, Freethought Events, Fundamentalism, Gay Marriage, God & Bible, Logic, Reason, Religion, Sanity, That's Life!, Willful Ignorance
The Reason Rally (http://www.reasonrally.org/about/) will be held on the Washington DC Mall on the 24th of March. There will be a lot of well known speakers to take up the cause for “reason.” One of the sponsors of the rally made sure that the Westboro Baptist Church got an invite to come to the mall and “socialize.” Megan Phelps-Roper responded to the invitation. She responded,
“Dear @ReasonRally: How gracious of you! We accept your invitation & will picket your parade of fools 3/24.ッ Love, WBC.”
They’re sure to bring their signs and their chants, taunts, and parody songs.
The Reason Rally is hoped to be a celebration of togetherness in the non-believing community. There has been an effort by most of the secular organizations to put aside differences and concentrate on what unites us. It is no secret that each organization has a different take on how we should proceed. Some organizations and well known individuals embrace a “no holds barred” approach. While others believe the way forward includes religious accommodation. There are some that believe no religious violation of the separation of church and state should be tolerated. While others believe that going after trivial matters detracts from the big picture and drives would be supporters deeper into the closet. The Reason Rally is a chance to put all the bickering aside for at least a day and celebrate the “cause of reason” that unites us.
Perhaps the presence of the Westboro Baptist Church protestors will provide a stark contrasting viewpoint. It will be interesting to see what will happen when the gentlemen and ladies of the Kansas based church come in contact with the other religious counter protestors. Will they join forces?
Here are the sponsors of the Reason Rally:
- American Atheists
- American Humanist Association
- Atheist Alliance of America
- Atheist Nexus
- Camp Quest
- Center for Inquiry
- Foundation Beyond Belief
- Freedom From Religion Foundation
- Freethought Society
- Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers
- National Atheist Party
- Secular Coalition for America
- Secular Student Alliance
- Society for Humanistic Judaism
- Stiefel Freethought Foundation
- The Brights
- The James Randi Educational Foundation
- The Richard Dawkins Foundation
- United COR
- Washington Area Secular Humanists
The speakers (http://www.reasonrally.org/speakers-2/) include:
- Dr. Richard Dawkins—known for his books on Evolutionary Biology and Atheism
- Tim Minchin—Musician, comedian, actor, composer, and writer.
- Eddie Izzard—Actor and comedian
- Dr. PZ Myers—Professor of Biology, and creator of the Pharyngula Blog.
- Taslima Nasrin—Author and activist for gender equality.
- Paul Provenza—Host of The Green Room, producer of The Aristocrats.
- James Randi—The Amazing Randi, creator of the Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge
- Adam Savage—Co-host of the Mythbusters.
- Jessica Ahlquist—Successful plaintiff in the case of Ahlquist v. City of Cranston.
- Jamila Bey—Journalist.
- Greta Christina—Blogger at Greta Christina’s Blog.
- Dr. R. Elisabeth Cornwell—US Executive Director of the Richard Dawkins Foundation.
- Fred Edwords—National Director of United Coalition of Reason.
- Sean Faircloth—Director of Strategy and Policy for Richard Dawkins Foundation.
- Jesse Galef—Communications director for Secular Student Alliance.
- Annie Laurie Gaylor—Co-president of the Freedom from Religion Foundation.
- Dr. Greg Graffin—Lead vocalist of Bad Religion, Professor at Cornell.
- Victor Harris—Poet.
- Jamie Kilstein—Comedian.
- Dr. Lawrence Krauss—Author, Professor at Arizona State University.
- Ron Lindsay—CEO of the Center for Inquiry.
- Hemant Mehta—The Friendly Atheist, Chair of Foundation Beyond Belief.
- Cristina Rad—YouTube’s ZOMGitsCriss.
- Michael Shermer—Founding publisher of Skeptic magazine.
- Shelley Segal—Singer/songwriter.
- David Silverman—President American Atheists.
- Roy Speckhardt—Executive director of the American Humanist Association.
- Rep. Pete Stark—First openly Atheistic member of Congress.
- Sen. Tom Harkin—Senator (D-IA) of 27 years.
- Todd Steifel—Founder of the Stiefel Freethought Foundation.
- Rational Warrior—a.k.a. Tombstone Da Deadman, Atheist hip-hop singer
- Indra Zuno—Actress/Translator
I’m going to be there. It’s going to be a great day in D.C.!