Atheism on the rise in America.by Don Lacey on Jul. 14, 2012, under Arizona Families, Atheism, AZ Politics, Christian Self-Righteous Arrogance, Christianity, Creationism, Critical Thinking, Faith, Freethought, Fundamentalism, Gay Marriage, God & Bible, Government, History, Logic, Materialism, Nature, Power of Prayer, Question of the Day!, Reason, Religion, Science, Separation of Church & State, Skepticism
On June 1st, Pastor John Hagee gave a speech in which he tells Atheists to move out of the country. Thank you for sharing your feelings, Johnny, but I don’t think I’ll be moving soon. Perhaps you should move. Pentecostals such as you, Pastor Hagee, are famous for handling poisonous snakes and testing your faith by drinking strychnine. As far as I know, you all believe that the meaningless babbling you spew is talking in tongues. I don’t think I’ll be taking your advice anytime soon.
The fact is, Atheism is gaining ground in America and locally, The Tucson Atheists just signed up its 500th member. There are four freethinking groups operating in Tucson—Tucson Atheists, Skeptics of Tucson, the U. of A. Skeptics Club, and FreeThought Arizona. In Arizona there are two coalitions currently operating—Secular Coalition for Arizona and the Arizona Coalition of Reason. The coalitions combine the efforts of many secular and freethinking groups in Arizona from Flagstaff, Prescott, Phoenix, and Tucson.
- Perhaps the rapid increase in the number of people shedding religion is a reaction to the fact that the Religious Right has shown its true character with its intolerance of the civil rights and in some cases the health of homosexuals. Here in Arizona the Center for Arizona Policy sidelined legislation designed to protect our school children from being bullied because it might accidently protect gay students from being bullied. How Christian is that? How is it that Cathi Herrod wields so much power? I don’t remember voting for her. Remember that she is heading a 501.c.3 organization (tax exempt charitable organization). According to the rules established for that kind of organization, there are restrictions on political action, such as lobbying. Please check out StopCAP to get a more complete story on this powerful, religious, right wing organization.
- Perhaps the rise in Atheism is due to the amount of information that is readily available. Many of us carry around internet connected, hand held computational devices that can be also be used as a phone. Arguments are different now. Sometimes points of disagreements are settled on the spot after a short consultation with Mr. Google. Have you ever noticed how someone looking up something on their iPhone looks like someone praying? Except, they’re not looking for answered prayers, they’re looking for answered questions. Do you want to know who wrote the song The City of New Orleans? Check it out HERE. I’ll bet you thought it was Arlo Guthrie didn’t you? People used to carry the Bible to answer all the hard questions.
It’s a sure bet that the next generation will be less religious than the current one.
Did you vote for FreeThought Arizona today?
VOTE for FreeThought Arizona
1. To vote-you must have a Facebook account or be willing to open one.
3. Click on “Non-Profit Contest” (Graphic in middle of the page)
4. Click on “Like” in the right hand upper corner. This must be done to get your vote counted.
5. On the ballot, Vote for FreeThought Arizona which is listed on the second page, second last item-by clicking on “Like This”
6. This finishes your daily vote—Now—Notify your other free thinking friends to do the same
7. You can vote every day—so give 2 minutes of your day to FREETHOUGHT for the next 2 days.
Please: Take Action NOW—don’t delay—-Here’s our chance to get the word out to Tucson and Beyond—–
Thanks for helping us Get the Secular “Word” Out