It appears approximately 200 people showed up to the “shutdown ICE” event yesterday, however, ICE offices were already closed and low priority office workers are not working in light of the government shutdown. Approximately 30-40 kids were at the ICE offices and it helped them when schools were closed for Columbus Day, too.
How is Puente’s leader via Carlos Garcia going to spin this event?
What it amounts to is this: Puente protested a bunch of empty ICE offices.
Carlos Galindo is an Arizona radio show host and a left of center political analyst / immigration rights leader who has the ear of thousands of immigrants, the Mexican American / Chicano community. While Galindo was talking about Puente’s “shutdown ICE” action this morning, he made a good point when he pointed out the horrible translation /communication by the Department of Homeland Security when they posted a letter at the ICE offices. He will be reaching out DHS to try and find out who is translating horribly. (See letter to the right.)
But we’ve got some questions for Carlos Garcia:
1. How does one shutdown ICE offices when the government already shutdown ICE?
2. How does Carlos Garcia explain to his followers that he didn’t shutdown ICE?
3. Does Carlos Garcia’s followers actually believe he shutdown ICE?
4. Since Carlos Garcia appears to be upset with ICE, how come he is not protesting the ICE Union Boss via Chris Crane in Utah who is failing to carry out the President Obama’s Directives?
5. Since Carlos Garcia has decent connections to AFLCIO leaders in Arizona, why doesn’t he ask AFGE with the help of AFLCIO to decertify the ICE UNION in light of the ICE Union Boss’s failure to carry out the immigration Presidential directives?
6. Why doesn’t Carlos Garcia attack in more productive means … through the Union political atmosphere?
7. Is it easier for Carlos Garcia to conduct meaningless marches and rallies (when ICE offices are closed anyway) instead of gutting out the union bad seeds?
8. Is Carlos Garcia afraid to address union leaders to this regard?
If one is going to go after ICE, perhaps they ought to focus on the leadership who is failing to carry out Presidential directives and go after the ‘union boss’ who is failing to carry out his responsibilities.
Participate in the decertifying the ICE UNION — where it actually matters and hurts ICE union leadership.
Work smarter not harder.
People are getting fatigued with false hopes and pseudo immigration leaders who profit and make money from activism who constantly peddle for donations in an already poor and hurting community. Puente did not shutdown ICE and it is disingenuous to lead others to believe they can do so. Some movements are losing the real messaging goals to put pressure on Republican-led House of Representatives and keeping their eye on the CIR prize — while others are focusing on the House of Representatives who are responsible for the government shutdown. More focus ought to be on those 11 million who are already here, and if focus is going to be on ICE — then those organizers ought to go after Chris Crane.
Click here to see the entire album of the “uneventful event” regarding yesterday’s ICE protest by Gail Mokry Shoultes.