A Tucson boxer who appeared in ESPN’s “Contender 2″ series was arrested on suspicion of beating his fiancee in front of the couple’s 4-year-old son, Tucson police said Thursday.
Norberto “Nito” Bravo Jr., 37, was booked into the Pima County Jail on Dec. 21 on misdemeanor charges of domestic violence assault, domestic violence criminal damage and contributing to the delinquency of a minor, Sgt. Fabian Pacheco said. Bravo has since been released on his own recognizance.
Pacheco said police got a call from Bravo’s 28-year-old fiancee shortly before 10 p.m. Dec. 21.
She was at a relative’s house in the 4500 block of East 28th Street, near Swan Road, he said.
The woman told police that Bravo had assaulted her, and her injuries were consistent with her report, Pacheco said. They were not serious enough to require hospitalization. The boy was unhurt, and his account matched his mother’s, he said.
Pacheco said Bravo’s fiancee told police that she had been arguing with Bravo before he hit her. He would not reveal the subject of the dispute or the nature of the woman’s injuries.
The woman told police that after the fight, Bravo called a friend to pick him up at their house on East Melissa Street, Pacheco said. She said he soon came back, demanding his keys, and broke a window.
While one officer was interviewing the woman, another officer went to the house where the couple live, in the 4800 block of East Melissa, near Swan and Broadway, he said.
Pacheco said Bravo, who also left the house after the incident, returned while the officer was there. The officer then arrested Bravo, who mentioned that he was a professional boxer, Pacheco said.
Bravo’s professional boxing career took off in 2006, when he was a participant on the ESPN reality series. He finished fourth on the show, according to Citizen archives.