Talk about short notice.
Freddy “Riel” Hernandez has a last-minute opponent in one of the main event boxing matches Friday at Casino Del Sol.
The Mexico City fighter, defending his IBA welterweight division title in a 12-round bout, was originally scheduled to face Edvan Dos Santos, who is out with an injured shoulder.
Abdulai Amidu is the replacement. Amidu is undefeated in 14 professional bouts, but Hernandez (23-1-0) said it doesn’t matter who his opponent is.
“I am ready to fight anyone,” Hernandez said. “I have prepared myself mentally to get ready for this fight. Changing the opponent doesn’t bother me. I didn’t know anything about the other fighter either.”
The other main event will feature Tomas “Norteño” Villa (19-5-0) and Gilbert Sanchez Leon (32-4-4-0) in an IBA featherweight title fight.
“Slowly, I’ve gone into this year,” said Villa, of Midland, Texas, fighting for only the second time this year. “I am looking forward to fighting here.”‘
Five other bouts are also on the card.
• Christopher “Kid” Martin (10-0-2) will oppose Gregorio “Goyo” Torres (5-1-2) of Nogales in a six-round junior featherweight match.
• Norberto “Nito” Bravo (25-16-3) of Tucson squares off against Roberto “Viejo” Valenzuela (44-38-2) in a welterweight match.
• Jesus “Estrella” Ruiz (5-0-2) and Paulino Villalobos (26-40-2) will do battle in a junior lightweight bout.
• In a four-round junior middleweight match, Steven Macomber (3-4-0) takes on Abratlam Espinoza (no record) of Tucson.
• The other match will pit heavyweight Eric Woods (0-1-0) against Rodulth “Terre” Louise (3-3-0) in a four-round match.
BOXING AT CASINO DEL SOL
When: 4:30 p.m. Friday
Where: AVA Amphitheater, Casino Del Sol, 5655 W. Valencia Road
Tickets: $15-$25, 1-800-344-9435