Tucson CitizenTucson Citizen

McCain: Renzi no longer part of campaign

Republican presidential candidate, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., speaks to reporters in Phoenix, Ariz., Monday, March 10, 2008.

Republican presidential candidate, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., speaks to reporters in Phoenix, Ariz., Monday, March 10, 2008.

PHOENIX — John McCain says indicted Arizona Congressman Rick Renzi is no longer taking part in his presidential campaign.

McCain told reporters in Phoenix on Monday that he didn’t know if Renzi had officially stepped down as a campaign co-chair.

But McCain says the congressman has taken himself out of doing any further campaign work.

McCain added that it’s up to Renzi to decide whether he can still serve his congressional district.

Renzi was indicted last month.

He is accused of embezzling $400,000 from his family owned insurance agency to help pay for his first campaign, and of using his office to promote a land deal that would financially benefit both himself and a former business associate.

Renzi has pleaded not guilty.

Citizen Online Archive, 2006-2009

This archive contains all the stories that appeared on the Tucson Citizen's website from mid-2006 to June 1, 2009.

In 2010, a power surge fried a server that contained all of videos linked to dozens of stories in this archive. Also, a server that contained all of the databases for dozens of stories was accidentally erased, so all of those links are broken as well. However, all of the text and photos that accompanied some stories have been preserved.

For all of the stories that were archived by the Tucson Citizen newspaper's library in a digital archive between 1993 and 2009, go to Morgue Part 2

Search site | Terms of service