Whole Foods Market® to open doors at new River Road store Wednesday, January 16by Hot Off The Press (Release) on Jan. 10, 2013, under Press Releases
Leading natural and organic market to open third Tucson site with exclusive features including in-store taqueria and wine and beer bar
TUCSON, Arizona (January 9, 2013) – Whole Foods Market, the world’s leading natural and organic foods retailer, is bringing a new style of grocery shopping to Tucson with the opening of its new River Road store that includes a number of exclusive features such as an in-store bar, organic wet rack, in-house smoker and 47-foot-long wall of beer.
“No two Whole Foods Market stores are exactly the same. Each market is designed for its community from the exterior’s architecture to the interior’s products and services. At the River Road store, Tucson’s beauty has inspired our best,” said Patrick Bradley, regional president for Whole Foods Market Southern Pacific region. “In addition to providing the wide selection of delicious, natural and organic foods that are synonymous with Whole Foods Market, we’d like this store to become a dining destination for the community where they can meet friends, enjoy a drink, watch a Wildcats game on TV and grab a bite to eat.”
The store is located at 5555 River Rd and opens at 9 a.m. on Wednesday, January 16. Guests will be greeted by a 36,000-square-foot store full of Whole Foods Market favorites and never seen before services, including an in-store taqueria and sandwich bar that only uses organic produce.
“We are bringing new jobs to Tucson by hiring 80 additional team members for this store,” said Jay Young, Whole Foods Market Tucson storeteam leader.“We’ve worked hard to create a store that keeps the city’s interests at heart.”
Tucsonans will also be able to take advantage of new features such as an in-store wine and beer bar that will showcase 24 craft beers including nine local varieties on tap, as well as an assortment of wines available by the glass. A Tucson-favorite, the Dragoon Brewery, will offer an exclusive beer at the River Road store using experimental hops. The bar will also feature a growler station and pub food and encourage Tucsonans to cheer on the home team with two large screen TVs and seating for more than 20.
The store’s commitment to locally sourced products is proven by its offerings from more than 43 local vendors and farmers from Coolidge, Elgin, Patagonia, Sonoita, Tucson and Willcox, including: Briggs and Eggers, Borderlands Brewing Company, English Family Orchards, Sunizona, Dream With Colors and the San Xavier Coop.
There will be an extensive selection of prepared foods and catering options, created by Whole Foods Market’s Executive Chef and University of Arizona graduate Nathan Hirsch, that can be enjoyed in the indoor/outdoor dining area or available for carry out.
Designed and built with the environment in mind, the new store takes on the look of the southwest and Sonoran desert. Guests will see this regional inspiration in everything from decorative displays to colors and furnishings.
Highlights of the new store include:
- 47-foot-long wall of beer featuring local breweries. There will also be wine and beer tasting events held regularly.
- Meat department with a full line of 100% grass-fed beef and organic free-range chicken ready to take home and cook, or have them prepared in the store’s in-house smoker.
- Seafood department featuring catfish fillets and whole trout as well as Responsibly Farmed™ Atlantic salmon fillets and steaks. Selection of assorted caviars, dips and spreads.
- Fresh smoothie and juice bar with New Vitality smoothie recipes and grab-’n-go options.
- Full in-store bakery with a team of dedicated bakers creating freshly baked 100% whole grain cakes as well as breads, muffins, scones, cakes, pies, tarts, cookies, and special diet selections, such as vegan and gluten-free treats.
- Whole Foods Market’s 365 Everyday Value® brand pantry staples, featuring thousands of products priced at low prices, every day.
- A large bulk and raw foods section, with local olive oils, vinegar and honey.
- Prepared Foods department serving handcrafted pizza by the slice or pie, chips and dips, custom-made sandwiches, hot soups and meals-on-the-go.
- Whole Body department with nutritional supplements and vitamins as well as personal care items including locally produced essential oils and soaps.
- Indoor/outdoor convertible patio with seating for 40 and indoor café with seating for 50.
- Six full-lane checkouts and four express registers
Whole Foods Market River Road Store Info:
5555 E. River Rd. Tucson, AZ 85750
Open seven days a week from 8 am – 10 pm.
For additional information on Whole Foods Market’s River Road store, please visit www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/RiverRdor to stay updated on grand opening events and activities, follow Whole Foods Market River Rd. on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/WholeFoodsMarketRiverRd.and on Twitter at @WholeFoodsRRD
About Whole Foods Market®
Founded in 1980 in Austin, Texas, Whole Foods Market (wholefoodsmarket.com, NASDAQ: WFM), is the leading natural and organic food retailer. As America’s first national certified organic grocer, Whole Foods Market was named “America’s Healthiest Grocery Store” by Health magazine. The company’s motto, “Whole Foods, Whole People, Whole Planet”™ captures its mission to ensure customer satisfaction and health, Team Member excellence and happiness, enhanced shareholder value, community support and environmental improvement. Thanks to the company’smore than 73,000 Team Members, Whole Foods Market has been ranked as one of the “100 Best Companies to Work For” in America by FORTUNE magazine for 15 consecutive years. In fiscal year 2012, the company had sales of $11.7 billion and currently has more than 340 stores in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom.
# # #