I just got an iphone and I’m musing about the ways stories can be told through this amazing device. First of all I have to say that I’m somewhat obsessed with it, which I think is completely normal given the complexity of this little 4 1/2″ x 2″ marvel of technology. I’m not a novice to cell phones; I’ve had one since 1990 but this “toy” is something else. And it’s not just the iphone, I think that all smartphones are amazing.
I’m sure that it will do so many more things than I can imagine at this point but so far I’ve discovered
- instant email and text messaging
- Facebook and other social media
- the camera for photos and video
- maps and GPS and Yelp, one of many glorious apps (applications), that helps you find anything you are looking for near your location
- Bump an app that allows you to share something on your phone with someone else’s phone by literally bumping your phones together
- Shazam, an app that can “hear” music and then it tells you the name of a song and who is singing so you can read the lyrics or buy the song
- Solitaire and Angry Birds (free or 99 cent versions) and other time wasting games.
And, oh yeah, you can make a phone call too.
What are some of the ways you can think of to use your smartphones for telling stories?