April is Adopt-a-Greyhound month. I can think of 20 reasons but here are 10 reasons to adopt a greyhound:
1. They truly know the meaning of retirement.
2. They curl up to the size of a ball if they need to.
3. They expand to the size of the entire bed if they want to.
4. Now you can’t get out of that daily walk you promised the doctor.
5. You can dress greyhounds up as reindeer for Christmas.
6. Greyhounds are natural born interior decorators and love to rearrange your pillows.
7. They’re bigger couch potatoes than you are.
8. You can blame them for the flatulence permeating the room.
9. You can’t confuse them with Labradoodles (no offense to Labradoodles)
10. Greyhounds are forever thankful for saving their lives.
Tucson Greyhound Flash Mob – April 15 – 7 to 8 p.m.
You can find adoptable greyhounds here:
Arizona Greyhound Rescue (AGR)
View available dogs here. AGR has meet and greets at PETsMart, PETCO, and Bookmans. Volunteers are always needed especially foster care families.
Greyhound Adoption League (GAL)
Their website is down now (technical hiccups) but yes, they are operational, but hard to reach. Will link to the website when it goes back online.
Greyhounds 2 Go
They are a small group with an arm in San Diego. My current greyhound — Jett — is from Greyhounds2Go.
AZ Greyhounds Inc. has the motto, “making the world a better place, one greyhound at a time.”
Greyhounds of Verde Valley
The mission is to place greyhound dogs in safe, loving, forever homes as pets. The greyhounds come from Tucson dog track and are placed far and wide from Lake Havasu to Phoenix to Las Vegas.
California has many adoption groups in San Diego, Orange County, Los Angeles, Fillmore, and into Northern California. Racing greyhounds come from the Tijuana dog track, Tucson dog track, and other locations. For a complete list of rescue groups across the United States and worldwide, visit this page.
Animal Planet has great things to say about why greyhounds might be the breed for you.
(Jett Greyhound was adopted by Karyn Zoldan in August 2011. His hobbies are long walks, stuffed Kongs, and flirting with female greyhounds.)