Nobody hates July 4th more than me and my greyhounds. They freak out. It doesn’t have to be the noisy firework displays but rather the nut jobs in the neighborhood setting off firecrackers.
According to the Humane Society of Southern Arizona, fireworks and firecrackers often scare dogs and cats simply because they are so loud. Dogs will howl, pace, jump fences and run long distances from fear of loud sounds. Some dogs become so fearful of fireworks, that out of anxiety they might cause harm to themselves.
Here are some tips to be better prepared:
- Ensure your pet is indoors or in a safe, cool enclosure from which he or she cannot escape
- Stay home with your pet to provide comfort and security; never take them to a fireworks display
- Turn on a TV or radio to provide soothing sounds that will distract your pet from outside noises (or blast some good old rock & roll)
- Spray pet-friendly aromatherapy to calm your dog’s nerves (yours too)
- Animals that are extremely sensitive to noise may benefit from the use of veterinarian prescribed tranquilizers (I give my dogs Calms Forte which is holistic and can be purchased at Sunflower Market. Last year I gave them each a pill at 7:30 p.m. By 8 p.m. they were zonked out and slept soundly until 5:30 a.m. the next day. I have taken it myself when I have rare insomnia. Disclaimer: This is not medical advice.)
- Be sure to keep a well-fitting collar and ID on your pet with a good phone number
- Have your pet microchipped; low cost microchipping is available here.
- If you’re hosting a BBQ, be sure the gates are properly closed and pets cannot bolt out open doors.
Are you pets afraid of fireworks and firecrackers? What do you do to quell their fears?
Each year the day after July 4th, HSSA receives an increase of lost dogs and cats. The HSSA shelter will be closed July 4th. The main shelter will reopen on July 5 at 11 a.m.
Information for Pima Animal Care Center “found” pets
Photo by Michelle Caillet, Dazzle Greyhound is extremely afraid of storms and always feels grounded in the bathtub.