Now for the peep show…
According to Wikipedia, peeps are marshmallow candies, sold in the United States and Canada, that are shaped into chicks, bunnies, and other animals. Peeps are used primarily to fill Easter baskets. Peeps are made from marshmallow, corn syrup, gelatin, and carnauba wax. (gross)
Peeps have been used for all kinds of indecent acts. Some people require instructions how to eat peeps and some people torture peeps in the microwave (a big no no) but for people who have a sophisticated thirsty palate, now you can have your peeps on the rocks or in a martini glass.
Pet safety tips during Easter
Chocolate! Gotta love it but keep chocolate away from your dogs and cats (and that way you have more for yourself). Some pets have a sweet tooth, determination, and a scent to hunt it down and have their way with chocolate. This addiction of choice has theobromine and caffeine which is toxic to dogs and cats. Signs of chocolate consumption include diarrhea, vomiting, and trembling.
Xylitol is showing up in all kinds of foods. It’s the “in” artificial sweetener found in pastry, chewing gum, and candy. Xylitol has the potential to be extremely toxic to dogs. Don’t share the gumdrops or jelly beans with your pet.
Beware of the Easter Lily and daffodils. While these flowers are common around this time of the year, both are highly toxic to cats. The problem starts with lethargy and vomiting and morphs to renal failure and death.
The Easter grass is not always greener. As a matter of fact for some cats and dogs this grass can be deadly if eaten. Straining to eliminate, vomiting, and a painful stomach are all symptoms.
Eggstra: Egg decorating supplies like dyes, glitter, glue, paints and felt tip pens may be enticing to dogs and cats and can cause general stomach distress if ingested.
Forget about the clean plate club and feeding Easter dinner scraps to your pets. Ham and pork are rich meats and can sometimes lead to pancreatitis.
Contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Poison Control Hotline (888-426-4435) if you suspect your pet has ingested a dangerous plant.
Source for pet health information, visit American Veterinary Medicine Association.
(Photo is courtesy of Angy Shearer. Misty the Greyhound is hot on the bunny trail.)