A power-rating system published at my Web site — WildAboutAZCats.net — is not based on a hunch, opinion or bias.
The Morales Pac-12 Power-Rating System was concocted on my own without tinkering with a computer or piggy-backing off Jeff Sagarin. It is about as basic as a ranking platform can get.
It’s easy: A team must beat an FBS team with a winning record against FBS competition to get truly rewarded. If a team loses to an FBS team with a losing record — or God forbid an FCS school (cough, Colorado) — it should get what is coming to it. The key is not only the victory or defeat, it is how the FBS opponent fairs the rest of the way with its won-loss record against FBS competition and its overall offensive and defensive stats compared to the other 120 FBS teams in the country.
1. Oregon State (3-0, 2-0) — Two tough road wins against UCLA and Arizona put Beavers atop power standings heading into Week 6 of the season.
2. Oregon (5-0, 2-0) — The Ducks’ win over Wazzu last weekend was not as impressive as Oregon State’s win against Arizona.
3. UCLA (4-1, 1-1) — The Bruins take care of Colorado and now face another hapless team on the road, California.
4. Stanford (3-1, 1-1) — The Cardinal’s opponents 11-4 vs. FBS competition and it beat Southern Cal.
5. Arizona State (4-1, 2-0) — Although its opponents are 5-12 vs. FBS competition, Devils continue to win.
6. Arizona (3-2, 0-2) — Both losses are against the two best Pac-12 teams (Oregon State and Oregon).
7. Washington (3-1, 1-0) — Win vs. Stanford significant but now must prove its worth at Oregon.
8. Southern Cal (3-1, 1-1) — The teams the Trojans have defeated (Hawaii, Syracuse and Cal) are now 0-10 vs. FBS teams.
9. Utah (2-2, 0-1) — The Utes are a missed field goal away (vs. BYU) from being 0-3 vs. FBS teams.
10. California (1-4, 0-2) — Will a coaching change happen if Cal loses at Wazzu in two weeks?
11. Washington State (2-2, 0-2) — The Cougars hung tough for a half against Oregon.
12. Colorado (1-4, 1-1) — The Buffaloes return to futility with 42-14 home loss to UCLA.
For an explanation of the points system, please check out the WildAboutAZCats.net Web site.