Whatever the outcome of today’s election, Congress members, and even you soon-to-be “lame ducks” should consider why public opinion of Congress is at an all-time low. I have some suggestions.
1) Read the Constitution, too many of you are ignorant of what it says or ignore what it says. Check especially Article I, Section 8.
2) Read and understand the implications of all bills before you vote on them. Remember who you work for.
3) Reduce spending and the deficit by sticking to your Constitutional mandate.
4) Stop subsidizing “green energy.” It is too expensive and uses funds that could be put to more productive use. For instance, for electrical generation, the EIA calculated costs in dollars per megawatthour as follows: Conventional coal power: $100.40; Natural gas: $83.10; Nuclear: $119.00; Onshore wind power: $149.30; Offshore wind power: $191.10; Thermal solar power: $256.60, Photo-voltaic solar power: $396.10.
5) Remove restrictions to natural resource development. The U.S. must re-industrialize and use our own natural resources. Currently 80% of GDP is in service industries rather than manufacturing which means we redistribute wealth rather than create it.
6) Repeal “Obamacare.” It is too complicated and too expensive. Base health care insurance on the HMO concept for Medicare/Medicaid recipients. Allow insurance companies to compete nationally, and remove all plan restrictions on client choice of healthcare providers. All plans should contain a menu of coverage choices, and if people want more than the subsidized coverage, then they pay the extra premium. Allow similar plans for younger people, to be paid by the client. Remember the concept of basic insurance is to pay for unaffordable expenses.
7) Get real on climate change. There is nothing you can do about it. Mother Nature ignores legislation. No one, not even the IPCC, has demonstrated a significant cause and effect relationship between carbon dioxide and temperature.
8) Rein in or even eliminate the EPA; it is a den of junk science.
9) Repeal or greatly modify the Endangered Species Act; it provides no positive incentive for conservation, it tramples on property rights, it destroys industries, it is very expensive, and it is ineffective. (See my analysis herehttp://tinyurl.com/25g29ap )
10) Restore the “Bush” tax cuts.
11) Go through every federal agency to eliminate wasteful spending and fraud.
12) Secure our borders from illegal entry and smuggling, and provide a realistic, monitored system for temporary workers.
It is the responsibility of each member of Congress to “preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” Do your duty.