5 candidates file for 2 seats on Tucson Unified School District Governing Boardby Carolyn Classen on Aug. 05, 2010, under Education, Life, Politics
The TUSD Governing Board sets policy for Tucson Unified School District, the largest school district in Tucson (K-12), and meets monthly at 1010 E. 10th Street in the Robert D. Morrow Education Center. Their website is http://www.tusd.k12.az.us/contents/govboard/govboard.html. Governing board members are unpaid volunteers, and are usually people passionate about education, with education backgrounds.
Who filed to run for the 2 seats on this board this year? Each term is for four years. With 2 openings, these are the names below of candidates who gathered about 400 signatures to be on the Nov. 2nd ballot, by the deadline of 5 p.m. yesterday August 4th, per the office of Linda Arzoumanian, School Superintendent.
1. Dr. Cassandra Bolden, Program Facilitator (educational programs) of Tucson Urban League
2. Adelita Grijalva, incumbent board member (has served 2 terms since 2003)
3. Michael Hicks, Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Manager for City of Tucson, Dept. of Transportation
4. Miguel Ortega, Council Administrative Assistant to Ward 3 Councilwoman Karin Uhlich (formerly Chief of Staff)
5. Armand Salese, J.D., attorney in private practice, ran for this office before in November, 2004
Current board members:
–President : Judy Burns (term expires 12/31/2012)
–Clerk: Miguel Cuervas (term expries 12/31/2012)
–Bruce Burke, J.D. (not seeking re-election this year)
–Adelita Grijalva, seeking re-election this year, daughter of Congressman Raul Grijalva (CD 7), who is also up for re-election
–Dr. Mark Stegeman (term expires 12/31/2012)
Good luck to these non-partisan candidates, as governing T.U.S.D. is not an easy job, with upcoming school closures and a struggling budget due to the economy. Interim Superintendent is Dr. John Carroll.
Questions about these T.U.S.D. candidates and other school district Governing Board candidates can be directed to 520-740-8451 (Pima County School Superintendent’s Office).
Photo of Dr. Cassandra Bolden not available at press time