Restaurant notebook: Foodie newsby Tom Stauffer on Jun. 18, 2008, under Local, Taste
Tucson eateries still serving Eurofresh tomatoes
More than a few local restaurants continue to serve tomatoes from Eurofresh Farms of Willcox. Those include Metro Restaurants and those of Fox Restaurant Concepts.
Last week, Fox pulled all tomatoes from its menus because of the nationwide salmonella outbreak. After consulting the feds and Eurofresh, Fox went back to offering Eurofresh tomatoes Friday, says Fox spokeswoman Debbie Porter. Authorities still have not found the source of the salmonella.
Hello . . .
. . . Sabor Tropical, 5470 E. Speedway Blvd. (323-0266)(formerly Cabo Taco)
. . . Sertinos Cafe, 8898 E. Tanque Verde Road (760-0651).
Mo. governor wants feds to review InBev offer
ST. LOUIS – Republican Gov. Matt Blunt wants the Federal Trade Commission to review the proposed sale of Anheuser-Busch Cos. to Belgian brewer InBev.
Blunt said he is concerned the sale could create a near monopoly in the U.S. beer market by combining the brewers, and it could damage the St. Louis and Missouri economies.
InBev, which makes Beck’s and Stella Artois beers, made an offer this month to buy Anheuser-Busch for roughly $46 billion. Anheuser-Busch, the nation’s largest brewery and maker of Budweiser and Bud Light beers, has not yet officially responded to the offer.
Meanwhile, Anheuser-Busch Chief Executive August Busch IV sent a brief letter to InBev Chief Executive Carlos Brito, declining to elaborate on media reports that Anheuser-Busch has begun negotiations for a potential combination with Mexico’s Grupo Modelo SAB.
Should that deal take place, the resulting company might be too big for InBev to buy.
The Associated Press
Paula Deen’s Savannah restaurant reopens after Sunday fire
SAVANNAH, Ga. – A restaurant owned by well-known Southern chef Paula Deen reopened for lunch Monday following a late-night fire.
Firefighters responded to a blaze about 11 p.m. Sunday at The Lady & Sons eatery. No one was hurt. Investigators believe the blaze started in a laundry bag full of linens and rags, when the oils in the rags broke down and generated their own heat, causing a spontaneous combustion.
The Associated Press