Tucson CitizenTucson Citizen

Firefighters: Sierra Vista teen seriously burned trying to start brush fire

SIERRA VISTA — Fire officials say a teenage boy from Sierra Vista was seriously burned when he and a companion tried to ignite brush with gasoline.

A Sierra Vista Fire Department spokesman says the teen was airlifted to a burn center with first- and second-degree burns over half his body following the Wednesday afternoon incident.

Fire marshal Paul Cimino says two teenage boys were pouring gas on vegetation in a backyard when the gas can exploded, possibly after being ignited by a nearby cigarette. The burned boy’s friend used a hose to douse the flames.

The injured boy’s name and exact age weren’t released.

Citizen Online Archive, 2006-2009

This archive contains all the stories that appeared on the Tucson Citizen's website from mid-2006 to June 1, 2009.

In 2010, a power surge fried a server that contained all of videos linked to dozens of stories in this archive. Also, a server that contained all of the databases for dozens of stories was accidentally erased, so all of those links are broken as well. However, all of the text and photos that accompanied some stories have been preserved.

For all of the stories that were archived by the Tucson Citizen newspaper's library in a digital archive between 1993 and 2009, go to Morgue Part 2

Search site | Terms of service