Take it from Tuffy the Yorkie: Smoke detectors are essential in every home.
Tuffy, a 5-year-old Yorkshire terrier, resides with Tucsonans Brad and Frances Bishop. And when a kitchen vent fan burst into flames about 2 a.m. Thursday, Tuffy knew just what to do.
His furious barking awoke the Bishops and they escaped the fire.
Tuffy was pressed into action because the Bishops had old smoke detectors that they had removed during painting and never replaced. When the fire damage is repaired, two new smoke detectors will be installed.
Smoke detectors save lives – even for families equipped with canine warning systems.