New York City falls just short of sweep in Beard Awardsby Tucson Citizen on May. 13, 2009, under Edge, Taste
New York City fell just short of a clean sweep of the 2009 James Beard Foundation Awards.
Of the nine national awards in the Restaurant and Chefs category, the Big Apple made off with eight:
• Outstanding Restaurateur Award: Drew Nieporent, Myriad Restaurant Group, New York
• Outstanding Chef Award: Dan Barber, Blue Hill, New York
• Outstanding Restaurant Award: Jean Georges, Jean-Georges Vongerichten, chef/owner, New York
• Rising Star Chef of the Year Award: Nate Appleman, A16, San Francisco
• Best New Restaurant: Momofuku Ko, David Chang, chef/owner, New York
• Outstanding Pastry Chef Award: Gina DePalma, Babbo, New York
• Outstanding Wine Service Award: Le Bernardin, Aldo Sohm, wine director, New York
• Outstanding Wine and Spirits Professional Award: Dale DeGroff, Dale DeGroff Co. Inc., New York
• Outstanding Service Award: Daniel, Daniel Boulud and Joel Smilow, owners, New York
Best Chefs in America:
• Pacific: Douglas Keane, Cyrus, Healdsburg, Calif.
• Mid-Atlantic: Jose Garces, Amada, Philadelphia
• Midwest: Tim McKee, La Belle Vie, Minneapolis
• Great Lakes: Michael Symon, Lola, Cleveland
• Northeast: Rob Evans, Hugo’s, Portland, Maine
• Northwest: Maria Hines, Tilth, Seattle
• Southeast: Mike Lata, Fig, Charleston, S.C.
• Southwest: Paul Bartolotta, Bartolotta Ristorante di Mare at Wynn Las Vegas
• South: John Currence, City Grocery, Oxford, Miss.