BISBEE — A wildfire burning a half-mile northwest of Bisbee is 40 percent contained after charring 122 acres since breaking out late Monday morning.
Officials said Tuesday that they were bracing for forecasted thunderstorms.
Thirty homes were evacuated as a precaution, but Arizona State Forestry Division spokeswoman Judy Wood says everyone was allowed to return home Monday evening.
Wood said no homes or other structures are threatened.
Crews expect the blaze to continue burning away from the town.
Wood said crews initially attacked the blaze with 10 air tankers and 10 to 15 fire engines, an unusually strong offensive because of the fire’s proximity to Bisbee.
But she said Tuesday that three hotshot crews had been released and aircraft had been pulled off, with about 160 firefighters still on the scene.
The cause of the fire began is under investigation.