Quihuis gets into world championshipby Tucson Citizen on Feb. 28, 2007, under Sports
Citizen Staff Report
Citizen Staff Report
Krystal Quihuis, 10, is headed to North Carolina in August for the U.S. Kids Golf World Championship.
Quihuis, a fifth-grader at St. Ambrose, won a tournament at Chandler’s Lone Tree Golf Club on Saturday with a nine-hole score of 41 to qualify.
She also won the Southern Arizona Junior Championship last week at Pueblo del Sol in Sierra Vista with an 18-hole score of 89.
San Pedro Pro-Am
Don Littrell of Skyline Country Club shot a 4-under-par 68 and teamed with Ron Ptacek to win the Southern Chapter of the Southwest Section PGA San Pedro Pro-Am at the San Pedro Golf Club in Benson.
Glen Griffith (Tucson Golf School) and Roger Lawrence were second, while Jay Synkelma (El Conquistador) and Dennis McNichol were third.
Low Amateur Gross honors went to Brian Prouty (68) and Low Amateur Net was won by Walt Patek (61).
Grau third in event
Kirsti Grau of Vail posted the highest finish of Tucson-area youths, finishing third with a 37-over 179 in the Desert Junior Golf Tour Trilogy Challenge at Trilogy Golf Club in Gilbert.
Grau competed in the Girls 12-14 age division.
Nikko Grau of Vail finished in the top 10 in the Boys 14-15 division, as he tied for 10th with a 21-over 163.
• Ricardo Sanchez, 207-yard No. 2 at Randolph North, 5-wood. Witnesses: Ray Milczewski, Dan Holman.
• Sally Weymouth, 140-yard No. 2 at Randolph North, 5-wood. Witnesses: Kent Weymouth, Frank Boyle, Jim Becker.
• Alex Delfakis, 123-yard No. 15 at Fred Enke, pitching wedge. Witnesses: Tom Wetzel, Gary Scott.
• Jim Carlson, 193-yard No. 17 at Heritage Highlands, 4-iron. Witnesses: Ted Middle, Jon Van Leer.
• Dan Nestor, 150-yard No. 4 at Heritage Highlands, 7-iron. Witnesses: Dick Wiseman, Dick Crane.
Santa Cruz Catholic School will host its first golf tournament March 10 at the Silverbell Golf Course.
Cost is $75 per person or $300 for a foursome. A ticket includes golf cart, tee fee, dinner and chances for raffle prizes and gifts.
For information call 409-5203.