Tucson CitizenTucson Citizen

Wal-Mart abandons suit against big-box ordinance

Citizen Staff Writer

Wal-Mart will not sue the city to get an initiative overturning a portion of the big-box ban onto November’s ballot, a company spokeswoman said Friday.

The city refused to accept a petition bearing nearly 22,000 signatures requesting the ballot item earlier this month, saying the initiative was against state law prohibiting such measures from targeting land-use regulations.

Wal-Mart wanted to eliminate the portion of the city ban that restricted the space dedicated to grocery sales in stores larger than 100,000 square feet.

Delia Garcia, a Wal-Mart spokeswoman, said the corporation opted not to file a lawsuit with hopes that the large number of signatures collected for the effort may prompt the City Council to revisit the ordinance and eliminate that restriction.



Our Digital Archive

This blog page archives the entire digital archive of the Tucson Citizen from 1993 to 2009. It was gleaned from a database that was not intended to be displayed as a public web archive. Therefore, some of the text in some stories displays a little oddly. Also, this database did not contain any links to photos, so though the archive contains numerous captions for photos, there are no links to any of those photos.

There are more than 230,000 articles in this archive.

In TucsonCitizen.com Morgue, Part 1, we have preserved the Tucson Citizen newspaper's web archive from 2006 to 2009. To view those stories (all of which are duplicated here) go to Morgue Part 1

Search site | Terms of service