Tucson CitizenTucson Citizen

2 hurt when drum explodes during do-it-yourself project

Citizen Staff Writer



Two men cutting a 55-gallon drum in half to make a barbecue were injured Wednesday afternoon when the drum exploded, South Tucson police said.

The drum had contained kerosene. The men were using an electric cutter to split the drum outside a residence in the 1600 block of South Seventh Avenue in South Tucson, police said.

Kerosene vapors inside the drum apparently ignited and the drum exploded.

They were taken by Rural/Metro Fire Department medics to University Medical Center.

One of the men suffered a serious leg injury. The injury to the other man could not be immediately determined.

The explosion did not cause a fire.

The men were not publicly identified by South Tucson authorities.

Kerosene drum explosion injures two men

Our Digital Archive

This blog page archives the entire digital archive of the Tucson Citizen from 1993 to 2009. It was gleaned from a database that was not intended to be displayed as a public web archive. Therefore, some of the text in some stories displays a little oddly. Also, this database did not contain any links to photos, so though the archive contains numerous captions for photos, there are no links to any of those photos.

There are more than 230,000 articles in this archive.

In TucsonCitizen.com Morgue, Part 1, we have preserved the Tucson Citizen newspaper's web archive from 2006 to 2009. To view those stories (all of which are duplicated here) go to Morgue Part 1

Search site | Terms of service