Tucson CitizenTucson Citizen

Parents sue city after man swept away

Citizen Staff Writer



The parents of Roy J. Harris, the 28-year-old swept away in a flooded wash July 19, filed suit against Tucson seeking damages for his death.

The suit, filed by Mary and Roy Harris on April 10, says the city had a duty to maintain 15th Avenue north of Mabel Street, “at or near” the Bronx Wash “in a reasonably safe condition for drivers.”

The suit states the city should have known of the road’s tendency for flooding and that floodwaters created an unreasonably dangerous hazard to drivers.

The parents asked the court for reasonable damages.

Michael Graham, spokesman for the city Transportation Department, said he could not comment on the lawsuit. The city attorney’s office did not return a call Wednesday requesting comment.

The remains of Harris have not been found. Marana police said testing of bones found last month that could be Harris’ are not complete, but results may be released in May.

Our Digital Archive

This blog page archives the entire digital archive of the Tucson Citizen from 1993 to 2009. It was gleaned from a database that was not intended to be displayed as a public web archive. Therefore, some of the text in some stories displays a little oddly. Also, this database did not contain any links to photos, so though the archive contains numerous captions for photos, there are no links to any of those photos.

There are more than 230,000 articles in this archive.

In TucsonCitizen.com Morgue, Part 1, we have preserved the Tucson Citizen newspaper's web archive from 2006 to 2009. To view those stories (all of which are duplicated here) go to Morgue Part 1

Search site | Terms of service